Amish Country Bread, Pretty darn easy!
Another Pinterest adventure, this recipe is “quick” and easy with a standing mixer, producing a dense rich bread perfect for hearty sandwiches on thin slices.
4 tbs Sugar
2 tbs Butter, cubed
3 tsp Salt
1.5 cups Hot Water
2 tbs yeast
5 cups Flour
1 egg & 1 tbs water
- Mix first 6 ingredients in standing mixer with dough hook for at least 10 minutes.
- Set dough in a floured bowl, cover, and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Break dough into 2 balls and set on parchment lined pans. Cut shallow slits into the top. Rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix together egg & water and brush on top of loaves. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 25 minutes until internal temperature is 200F. (I used a meat thermometer. My convection oven only took 20 minutes.)
- Cool on a high rack to preserve crust. Store in a paper bag if there are any leftovers.
This recipe is very similar to my pizza dough recipe for the bread maker: same amounts of flour and water though much more butter, sugar, and yeast. Hum….