Super Flakey VODKA Pie Crust
I’ve finally found a way to use up my bacon vodka! I promise you, this recipe rocks my socks off. And you don’t taste the vodka.
Apple Hand Pies
Apple Pie Filling (adapted from Mau-Columbus’s recipe on Allrecipes)
2 tbs lemon juice
4 c water
4 Granny Smith Apples (I used 5 medium / small baking apples)
2 tbs butter
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs cornstarch
1 tbs water
- COMBINE water and lemon juice in large bowl.
- PLACE apples in water as you finish slicing them (to keep them from browning.)
- MELT butter in large skillet at medium heat.
- DRAIN apple slices and add to skillet.
- COOK and stir 2 minutes.
- ADD brown sugar and cinnamon. COOK and stir 2 minutes.
- In a small bow, mix cornstarch and 1 tbs water until smooth. Pour into skillet and mix well.
- COOK until thickened (about 1 minute).
- REMOVE from heat and allow to cool.
Pie Crust (adapted from The Best of America’s Test Kitchen 2010)
2 1/2 c flour, divided
2 tbs sugar
12 tbs butter, chilled & cubed
1/2 c shortening, chilled & cubed
1/4 c Bakon Vodka, cold
1/4 c cold water
- MIX 1.5 cups flour and sugar.
- ADD butter and shortening. CUT IN until resembles cottage cheese curds and no flour is loose (by hand with a fork or pastry cutter OR with food processor.)
- CHILL 10 minutes (if working by hand.)
- ADD remaining 1 cup of flour and CUT IN until evenly distributed.
- SPRINKLE water & vodka over mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, FOLD and PRESS until it is dough.
- Divide into 8 balls and CHILL at least 45 minutes.
Roll out dough and fill with cooled filling.
Fold and crimp edges like a calzone.
Place hand pies on parchment paper lined pan.
Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until browned.
What should I do with all these apples?!
Slicing the apples into the lemon juice and water.
Butter and Shortening ready to be cut in with a fork and some elbow grease.
Apple pie filling thickening on the stove.
Assembling the hand pies.
Look at how flakey that crust is!