Be creative EVERY DAY • A Challenge
Our oven has been given a time-out. It is not heating properly and fills the house up with propane! But I wasn’t giving up my homemade pizza. Hubby to the rescue!
• He obtained a large flat rock (sandstone) from our backyard. (Yeah, we grow rocks. I swear it!)
• Measured up the grate on the bbq grill (11″ x 18″).
• Cut the rock to size with a chop saw and diamond blade, and sanded it smooth with a cup wheel (all outside but what a mess!).
• Washed it off.
• Dried it out on the grill with the lid closed on low.
• Seasoned it with bacon and the subsequent grease!
• Roll/throw your dough into a thin crust.
• Liberally apply cornmeal to all sides of the dough and the stone.
• Using an edge-less cookie sheet (or pizza peel), slide the dough on to the stone and cook for a few minutes until browned.
• Flip over dough and add toppings. Heat through till other side is brown!
Notes: I forgot to pre-cook the crust on one of the pizzas and it was fine, just a little messy to get on the stone.
Notes: Thinner is better. Less toppings is better too. And definitely less sauce.