Finishing… my vintage apron!
Do you remember my in-progress apron? There were a couple posts. I took a day off of work to do it, but my apron is done. I made a few mistakes, some I left and some I corrected. After my first wearing I realized I need to reinforce the straps at the waist, but this beauty is finished and in use!
A mixture of old and new:
the fabric is a worn out pillow case and a sugar bag,
the trimming is fresh from JoAnn’s, and
the pattern (Butterick See & Sew 5125) has been in my sewing box for years.
Piping isn’t in the pattern. So, I had to go back a step and sew it in at the top. Turns out I estimated it a bit too long and now I have slack in the bottom!
Fixed the slack in the bottom with a snip and fold.
This pattern has two options: full apron with bow, or half apron with pocket. I wanted a full apron with POCKET – so here I am guessing on the placement.
Pocket is sewn in and looks ok.
This fabric is a very old pillow case – and very fragile. I patched some of the holes that needed to be stitched over with interfacing. It blends in well enough at the seams.
Another spot of interfacing patch where I pulled too hard while straightening out a pucker and it just ripped off in my fingers!
The first time I pinned the rickrack in place it was too low. This time I’m measuring out the seam allowance and readjusting the rickrack to just catch on the bottom.
Piping and rickrack are both extra outside of the pattern AND new to me.
Oops! Caught a fold in the seam. Time to back track on the rick rack. (I crack myself up.)
The last step, hand sewing a slip stitch around the facing.
An outdoor shot to show color.
My husband insisted on taking a picture of me in the apron. LOL.